---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Giovanna Souza <giovannaclsouza@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Mar 5, 2021 at 6:37 PM
Subject: Re: I20 Specific
To: McCormick, Matthew <mmccor12@simon.rochester.edu>
Cc: Attridge, Stefanie (Bascom) <Stefanie.Attridge@simon.rochester.edu>


Hi Matthew,

Thank you for taking the time to talk to me today and connect me to your colleague Stefanie. Also, I truly appreciate the deadline extension for the deposit, as I am very much looking forward to attending the MSMA at Simon. 

Stefanie, it is a pleasure to meet you. Let me give you an introduction of myself and a brief summary of my current situation - hopefully you can help us find an alternative!

I am Brazilian who graduated from the University of Miami in May 2020, with a BS in Advertising Management. Back in my junior year, I started working part-time at my current employer, under consecutive "CPTs". After graduation, I was offered a promotion + full-time position at this same company, working under OPT as a Marketing Coordinator. With the end of my OPT approaching on May 10th, 2021, my employer just made me an offer to sponsor me. This means my OPT would be extended up until October 1st (known as Cap-Gap extension), even though my current F-1 visa expires in June, 2021. (Hold on to this background information, please).  

Last month, I was honored to be accepted into Simon's Master in Marketing Analytics, which I am profoundly interested in attending this upcoming Fall. However, as you probably know, after filing a H1B (which happens now in March), I am not allowed to leave the United States until October 1st, as my process would be considered "abandoned". On March 31st they will notify me whether I was selected as a registrant for the 2021 lottery process or not. So I might even know whether I can leave the country to get a new F-1 visa, by March 31st. Moreover, because of COVID, most U.S. Consulates and Embassies are closed right now, which makes it even more difficult to get a new F-1 visa. 


Given this complex situation, I have a couple of questions I was hoping you might be able to help answering: 

1) How is U Rochester planning to ensure International Students have their visas issued on time for Fall semester, given the current pandemic situation, where most U.S. consulates are currently closed? (Maybe you already have an alternative that can enlighten my process)

2) Are there any possibilities of applying for Simon's F-1 being physically in the U.S., given this unusual situation? Is there some sort of request that could be made to the USCIS that you are aware of?

3) If that is not possible, can I start taking classes under an "extended F-1"/waiting for H1B results, throughout the months of August and September? 
(from my extensive research, when I start the Masters, my current OPT would be terminated. But that's all I know...)

4) If my current F-1 visa expires in June, and I am given an OPT cap-gap extension, this means my F-1 visa would be extended up until October as well? Meaning, I would be able to "transfer" it from U Miami to U Rochester?

5) Do you have any advice/ ideas of a path for this situation?


Thank you in advance for your time and consideration!

Once again, thank you Matthew for the support and willingness to help me in this situation. I truly hope we can find a way to overcome this, as I am extremely excited to attend Simon this upcoming Fall.

Sincerely,

Giovanna de Cristofaro L. de Souza




 





On Fri, Mar 5, 2021 at 4:40 PM McCormick, Matthew <mmccor12@simon.rochester.edu> wrote:

Hi Giovanna,

 

Thank you for connecting with me this afternoon. I know your ERD is coming up quick following the scholarship competition, so by copy of this email I wanted to bring my colleague, Stefanie Attridge, into the loop.

 

Giovanna --  I figured it might be best if you were able to reply to this email to explain the details of your situation and what questions you had, and then we can go from there. We are also going to extend your deposit deadline by a few days so we can have a plan in place. So no need to worry, your admission offer will not decline on Monday.

 

Best,

Matt

 

 

 

MATT McCORMICK
Assistant Director of Admissions
Simon Business School
University of Rochester
245N Gleason Hall

O: +1 585-275-9226

A new level of clarity

id:image001.png@01D3798B.B2B27050

MS in Finance ranked #3 in the US for Pre-Experience | Financial Times 2020